Thursday, February 16, 2012

I have been so busy....I hate busy.

...yet I live it -- day in and day out.

Work, school, papers, deadlines, a wife, a mom, 2 busy kids, soccer x2, honor band, running club, Sister Moses play, fieldtrips, homework, playdates, heartbreaks, homework, friendships, drama, disappointment, thrills, laughter, concerts, dates, golf tournaments, jacuzzis, schenanigans, bikerides, weeds, poop patrol, dinner, dishes, laundry, taxi driver, maid, monster, reader, writer, singer, biter (lol)

...and it goes on.

I like to live a full life, but I want stillness too.

This morning I was talking on the phone to my sister, making breakfast for the chitlins and trying to figure out the day. School and a trip to Walmart to get Cole's sport goggles. I'll get Dane from parent pickup and take him to honor band practice. My sister will get Cole and take him to the running club race (remember to pack shorts and energy bar). I will meet them at the park. Then I will take Cole and my nephews, pick up Dane. We will rush home and get Cole ready for soccer, to which we will then go to. Nephews will get picked up from there. Rush home. Dinner. Bedtime. Cole will just have to miss an "eye patch day" we simply are running out of time. Then I realize we must HURRY because the bus leaves to take Cole to his two daytime showtimes of Sister Moses. I yell to Dane...and we all hustle and bustle, leaving the house...late.

I'm a block from school -- and we're running over the schedule. And, I see a woman -- I'd say 70s -- in a bathrobe...laying on her driveway.

And we stop.

Turns out she fell trying to get the paper.

Cars, buses, vans passing her by -- kids and their parents walking, biking and cruising by.

And we stop.

She tells me her right knee is a replaced and "the damn left one just went out." I offer to call the ambulance - she refuses. I look her over and ask her if she has a walker, a chair, or anything to help get her up. She tells me to open the door and scream for her hard of hearing husband.

"AL!!!! AL!!!!" a few minutes goes by and he stumbles out of his room, terrified to find a disheveled and pajama clad women screaming his name (might be someone's fantasy, but not Al's.) He scurries to dress and hustles outside.

In a hurry.

I've gotten the woman a blanket (she's cold, on the driveway -- she told me for at least 15 minutes). I've assessed her and she is fine, just embarrassed.

Al and I get her up slowly and walk her inside to sit down. I look her over again...She's okay. She promises she will use her walker.

With tears in his eyes he blesses me and calls me their angel.

With tears in her eyes she tells me, "I'm grateful the Lord made you stop. And that you listened."

After we're in the car and on our way.

Cole is inquisitively looking outside the window with his mouth wide open and says, "It's okay if I'm late and miss the bus, I'm glad we stopped."

Dane has a sweet and proud smile and says, "Mom, thank you for stopping."

Moral of the story:
S T O P.

(edited to add: he made the bus)

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's awesome!

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok..Kristen...I feel like a damn spy...I got started reading this post, linked from your FB page, with huge crocodile tears running down my face by the way, and kept reading. You are a wonderful, warm, open person and I think I love you!!! Haha! 2 meetings and somehow I feel like you were meant to be part of my life. Weird? Yes...but that's what happens when people let you 'in' on who they are and you find out how truly beautiful they are and how hard they are trying in life to be all they can. You are an angel and thank God you stopped and listened. Great lesson for your boys, too. Love ya, girl!

    ReplyDelete