Friday, June 24, 2011

Carmel Valley, California.....here I come!



Today I am leaving for Robin and Matt's wedding. It is going to be one of my ONLY trips taken without my husband and children. Flying solo. I'm so excited to see Robin. I am beyond thrilled for her and where she is in life today. It's been a long road.

Robin and I met our freshman year at U of A. In fact, to be specific, we met downstairs, in front of Coronado dorm around 3am during a fire alarm. (That was 18 years ago! Holy crap!!) She approached me because she vaguely knew my roommate (and longtime best friend, Rentch) from her sorority and knew we lived on the fourth floor -- the same floor her crush lived on. Rentch had gone home for the semester with spinal meningitis and I had the room to myself. I don't think I ever stayed alone after that night. We hit it off IMMEDIATELY. She's goofy, almost air headed, but magnetic. (And, come to find out, she's fucking brilliant -- like unbelievably smart....) It was like I had known her forever. We stayed up the rest of the night -- laughing and stalking, Mr. Crush. We've been the best of friends ever since.

She is definitely my best friend, today...that isn't related to me, that is. She has always had unwavering support and love for me and my life. She was a huge support to me through college. We lived together and played together. Most of my favorite memories include Robin. Rocky Pointe, Fiji, Hot Damn, Trudy's, Dirt Bags, long talks, cuddling, laughing, 21st birthdays (and 19th, 20th, 22nd, actually! and 30th, too - VEGAS BABY)....and probably one of my most vivid memories ever (you know the kind where you literally can FEEL the way you felt at that moment, smell it, hear it?) was when Joel and I had a HUGE UHAUL packed up with everything we owned (including towing a crashed car) and we were leaving U of A after graduation headed for Green Bay, WI....I was tearful and nervous as we headed out of town, and all the sudden BLAZING up the side of our beast was my most beautiful friend, Robin, in her brand new Infinity G20, waving and honking, blowing us kisses and visibly singing (and knowingly, I 'm sure it was terrible- it was always terrible -- and loud)... as she headed west toward California and we drove on to the midwest. I will NEVER forget it -- and have tears in my eyes typing it! She's been there through the ins and outs of my relationship with Joel as he transitioned from my honey to Mr. Sunshine. We've been together in Arizona, Northern and Southern California, Wisconsin, Vegas, Mexico, Costa Rica and I've followed her as she traveled all over the world. She was my first visitor after Dane was born (in Wisconsin, none the less) and cuddled with Cole in his first weeks of life.

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...." She....never....left. While I was busy being a jackass and screwing up my life, she loved me. When everyone else judged and gossiped, she called me and told me she was there. When I was desperately depressed, she called to cheer me up. When I felt the most alone, I picked up the phone and called Robin. Time goes by, but I've NEVER felt separated from her. She may not know it -- but I leaned on her consistent friendship even when I was at my lowest. And, I will NEVER forget it.

And, where I am today!? Married and happy! She was one of the first people I told when Justin and I decided to get married. She was thrilled. Just talking to her made my stomach flip and heart happy. She has a way of making me feel like I am exactly where I need to be. It's uncanny. She sent us our first wedding gift -- a beautifully engraved picture frame set....And, now...it's her wedding weekend. I am SO HONORED to be there for my friend....and just love everything I know about Matt. It's about time someone snatch this beauty up -- and I pray that their lives together be as marvelous as it has been with them single and independent, only blessed 1000x by the combination of their personalities and love. My greatest prayer is that she remains happy and strong. May they lean on each other when times are less than easy and know they have friends and family holding them up...May Jesus bless them with children...May the years be kind to them...May they grow together and remember to honor the small things...May they remember this weekend with power and love and friendship....

Watch out, California -- I'm coming to a wedding sans children and husband....to celebrate my friend in one of the hugest life moments....I can't wait to hug her, and laugh, and be silly....oh, and she's surely gonna sing. Consider this your warning. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment