Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Facing the Giants

Dane, Cole and I just redboxed this movie. It's an older football movie that Dane had picked out. "It's about football and God, Mom -- there is no doubt we will love it." Sold.

What a great movie. Ok, really -- the acting was less than great and part of the script was really, well, for lack of a better term, scripted. It's all rather predictable -- even when I was crying in the middle of the movie, Cole said, "Mom, always remember the happy ending!!" (with a roll of his eyes).... Oh dear boy, if life always had the happy ending....

The underlying message, that really struck a cord, was WITH GOD, NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE.

I love watching movies with the boys -- they practically sit on me, even though the couch has more than enough room. And, the boys hold my hand or wipe my tears (I'm so pathetic, hallmark should have a section just for the saps like me)...The movie ended with Dane jumping up and down, Cole biting his fingernails and covering his face and me, in a heap of tears -- happy tears. So, watch the movie. Watch it especially if you love God and even more if you love football too....

I'll share some great quotes from the movie: (for those of you that were following my old blog: Striving To Be Erma -- it was another "Kung Fu Panda" moment -- with me armed with pen and paper....maybe I should send the link to Rosie again...I'm sure she has nothing better to do but comment on my silly movie epiphanies!) :-) And so it goes......

"I'm scared I won't even make the team." "Well, you already aren't on the team, so what do you have to lose!?" Spoken from a father full of love...

"You can't judge your father by his actions and yourself by your intentions. It just doesn't work that way." I love love triple love love love that one

"Lord Jesus, would you help me? I need you. Lord, I feel that there are giants of fear and failure staring down at me, waiting to crush me. And I don't know how to beat 'em, Lord. I'm tired of being afraid. Lord, if you want me to do something else, show me. If you don't want me to have children, so be it. But You're my God. You're on the throne. You can have my hopes and my dreams. Lord, give me something. Show me something." Man, I have said a prayer very similar to that before....

"If you accept defeat, David, then that's what you'll get."

"Well, in God's word He said 365 different times, "Do not fear." Now if He says it that many times, you know He's serious about it, don't ya?"

"God can do whatever He wants to do, however He wants to do it. And He chooses to work in our lives because He loves us. He's good. Hope today's a milestone for what He can do for the rest of your life if you trust Him."

No comments:

Post a Comment