Friday, July 27, 2012

School is in session! This Mom's reflection of new beginnings....

It's always a little bittersweet.  The start of school is just another reminder that time goes quickly -- and my boys are growing like weeds.  This year was significantly more stressful.  My oldest is starting Junior High.  I will admit to having to fight back the tears when we went and picked up his schedule and toured the school.  I remember vividly doing that myself when I was going into 7th grader, so how in the world was it possible that my child was in 7th grade!?  And then my youngest is starting at a new school too...4th grade but in an honors school that he tested into (I have such reservations about this type of segregation...)  I'm just so not impressed with this school, but he wants to try (and frankly, his Dad insisted.)  So two boys + two new schools = almost TOO much for this mamabear.
First Day of School
So today is Friday -- and the week has gone exceptionally well.  I really can't complain.  The boys both seem to really like their schools.  The homework has started and we are back on a schedule complete with practices and bedtimes.  I'm proud of myself, too.  My work schedule is such that I only worked on Wednesday this school week.  I've had a lot of time to be by myself.  I've been reading and decluttering.  It feels good.  I even have been trying to take some baby steps into helping my children find their independence.  First day I drove to school: 



Then, I drove them to the bus stop (first time ever on buses):
 
Then today, I let them WALK to the bus stop.  Dane walked Cole to his (it's about 1/2 a mile away) and then walked back to his:


OF COURSE (I'm sure you were going to ask,) I did stalk them...and drove to each bus stop to be sure that they got there on time and in one piece.  :) 

So, the plan is that they are going to be walking to the bus stop -- and then after school, Cole will have to wait for Dane's bus (10 minutes) and then they can walk home together.  We are hoping that we will all be comfortable enough with this that they will be able to do it even when I am off to work. 

I'm assuming they will have no problem with it -- I'm anticipating that I will.  Sigh. 

My loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment